Climate action doesn’t stop with COP. Here are some ideas we like for the transition to a fairer, greener future, and some links to inspire climate action:
Fossil Free: Divestment
Divestment is the opposite of investment. It means getting rid of stocks, shares, funds etc that are unethical and based on fossil fuels:
- Immediately freeze any new investment in fossil fuel companies;
- Divest from direct ownership and any commingled funds that include fossil fuel public equities and corporate bonds within 5 years
- End their fossil fuels sponsorship
Doughnut economics is a new way to meet the needs of all within the means of the planet. Here are some key points:
- Reimagining the shape of progress: choose thriving not addiction and dependence on growth
- Let’s have a higher ambition on this planet, within its boundaries, rather than growth.
- We need new generation economics and thinking for the planets survival
- We can meet the needs of all within the planets boundaries but not through continual growth
- Circular designed economies are needed which are regenerative and importantly distributive.
- We need to unleash human potential for the planet to survive.
Earth law centre
Earth law means transforming the law to recognise, honour and protect nature’s inherent rights to exist, thrive and evolve. The Centre works through:
- Raising awareness through education and outreach and fostering a new generation of Earth law advocates;
- Creating strategic partnerships with grassroots organizations and local and Indigenous communities to provide frontline legal support; and
- Securing new laws and landmark court decisions that strengthen our obligation to protect Nature.
Well-being Economy Alliance
WEAll is a collaboration of organisations, alliances, movements and individuals working towards a wellbeing economy, delivering human and ecological wellbeing.
Its vision is that in future:
- Policy is framed in terms of human and ecological wellbeing, not simply economic growth;
- Businesses provide dignified lives for their employees and exist to meet social needs and contribute to the regeneration of nature; and
- The rules of the economy are shaped by collaboration between government, business, and civil society.
R:evolve Recycle is our partner on the ground in Glasgow.
Check out their website if you are looking for ways to volunteer with an environmental twist, or if you would like to find new ways to reduce your clothing carbon footprint through swapping, sharing, mending, and making.